Selling after a natural disaster

If you’re thinking about selling a property that has damage caused by a natural disaster, it’s important to understand your rights and obligations.

Summary of important things to know
  • Get legal advice and clarification from your insurance provider before signing an agency agreement because there may be conditions on the property that could impact the sale.

  • Even if you are selling ‘as is, where is’, you must still disclose important information about the property to potential buyers.

  • Real estate agents must tell buyers about any issues with the property. You must provide your agent with honest information.

  • If repairs have been completed, Natural Hazards Commission Toka Tū Ake recommends that any outstanding NHC/insurance claims are assigned to the buyer if possible.

Decorative Image

Was this information helpful?

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.