COVID-19 Protection Framework (traffic light system) – Guidelines for selling a home under RED
This page contains information and what to expect if you're selling a property under the COVID-19 Protection Framework (traffic light system) under RED
- The requirements of the COVID-19 Protection Framework apply by real estate activity (such as, but not limited to, open homes, auctions, private viewings, and inspections). Real estate professionals and businesses may need to operate under different rules depending on the activity they are undertaking or meet the more stringent requirements where activities cannot be separated.
- Real estate agencies are not required to use the My Vaccine Pass verification process for real estate activities but may choose to.
- Generally, real estate operates at the general settings of the traffic light system.
- The rules for events apply to some real estate activities such as auctions/open homes at commercial properties or in a rural paddock. On the other hand, the settings for gatherings apply where the activity occurs at a private dwelling.
- Discuss and confirm with your real estate professional if you consent to unvaccinated people coming into your property as part of the sales process or whether all onsite activities must be subject to My Vaccine Pass verification process.
- The marketing plan you will agree with your real estate professional must take into account your decision on whether to use the My Vaccine Pass process or not. The licensee also needs to have a plan to enable unvaccinated people to participate in the real estate process, subject to your consent as the seller.
- You can view the specific guidelines for real estate agencies here
- We encourage you to view the guidance on Unite against COVID-19 website on Moving, buying and selling your home at Red, Orange, and Green
Below are specific guidelines for real estate activities under RED:
Red will be used if there is a need to protect both at-risk people and our health system from an unsustainable number of hospitalisations.
- Record keeping and scanning is strongly encouraged at all activities by real estate professionals and onsite services
- The agency office and your property must display the NZ COVID tracer app QR code, and have an alternative way for people to create a record
- Face coverings are mandatory in many places, including on flights, public transport, in taxis, retail, public facilities, and recommended whenever leaving your home
- Face coverings should be worn in customer/client-facing real estate activities. If the sale of your property is operating under the rules for gatherings, all people onsite (including workers and prospective buyers) must wear face coverings
- Agency offices are open and real estate activities can operate under a My Vaccine Pass required/not required process for customers or clients to gain entry
- If My Vaccine Pass is required, capacity limits of up to 100 people applies based on 1 metre physical distancing for indoor/outdoor events and gatherings (auctions/open homes)
- If My Vaccine Pass is not required, at Orange and Red real estate events operating under events rules cannot operate and gatherings are limited to 25
- Regional boundary restrictions may apply. Visit the Unite Against Covid-19 website for travel restrictions.
- To view the guidelines for real estate agencies under Red, visit the REA website
Click on the links below to learn more about buying and selling under different traffic light system levels:
Buying a home
Selling a home